Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chinese Steam Drunken Crab

Today I decided to try my hand on cooking crabs! And I come across a few recipes regarding steam crabs from the internet. After browsing a few, I decided to modify some of the recipe and create one of my own recipe. =)

I bought a crab from a live seafood shop located at Farm Mart (the shop is closed every Thursday). The crab weighted around 0.8kg and it cost me $24. The price of the crab ranges from $20/kg to $35/kg. I find that the prices are comparable to those we find at seafood restaurant but being a guy who loves to cook, I find it more satisfying buying my own crab and cooking it. I chose this poor fellow in my picture and the worker at the seafood helped me out in cutting it to pieces and cleaning it with brush as well! Good service ya...

Ingredients: (Serve 2)
800g to 1kg Crab (preferably live crab)
2 egg whites
4~5 slices of ginger3 thick spring onion stalks
1/4 cup Chinese wine (Hua Diao wine 花雕酒 or Shao-Hsing wine 绍兴酒)

Seasoning:
Shredded Ginger
Chopped Garlic
Chopped Green Onions
4 tbsp Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Chinese wine
1/4 cube of chicken stock
250ml / small bowl of water

Directions:
Rinse crab with water and arrange it on a plate with a bit of depth
Place the gingers and spring onions on top of the crab
Pour the Chinese wine over the crab
Start boiling water using a big wok
Once the water starts to boil, place the plate of crab into the wok and steam for 8 mins

Mix all the seasoning in a small bowl or you can choose to boil the water and add in the chicken stock cube and soy sauce
Once the cube of chicken stock has dissolve, place the remaining ingredients like shredded ginger, chopped green onions and garlic into a small bowl

Pour the seasoning and the egg whites over the crab and steam it again for another 4 mins

Once you check that the crab has turn red and make sure it is completely cook, dish out and it is ready to serve!


For those who like a bit of spiciness in this dish, you can also add in "chilli-padi" in your seasoning. But try not to over do it, as you might spoil the taste of the fresh crab meat.

The crab meat was tender and juicy and I can really taste the freshness of the scrumptious crab meat as the seasoning of this dish was not too heavy.

I hope you guys will enjoy the dish as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...